Remove the skin from
- 10-12 chicken thighs
You may wish to brown them in some
- vegetable oil to coat bottom of 3 quart pot
If you do brown them, reserve the chicken after browning. If not, and I am inclined not to bother, put the oil in the pot and continue by cooking
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tsp salt
until it is softened. While it cooks, prepare
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1/2 peeled butternut squash, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 3-4 jalapeno peppers, stems removed and discarded. Cut peppers half, then slice crosswise. I leave the seeds in because I like more spice in the dish. You can omit the seeds or reduce the peppers according to taste.
When the onions are soft, add the vegetables, chicken and
- the complete contents of 1 can (32 ounces) of plum tomatoes
- 3/4 to 1 cup of peanut butter (I used smooth this time)
- a few shakes of garlic powder or some minced garlic
- 1 TBL grated ginger
- 1 cup water
Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cover the pot. Make sure the heat is just hot enough to keep it at a simmer. Move chicken around in pot after 20 minutes and again 20 minutes later.
You can serve the dish as soon as the chicken is cooked through (about 40-45 minutes total) butit will taste much better if you reheat it and serve it the following day.
Note: this dish can be made with goat, beef or probably even firm tofu instead of the chicken. You may wish to vary the vegetables to include potatoes or other root vegetables.